Friday, April 27, 2012

Finishing This Chapter Strong!

Friday April 27, 2012: Day 172: 7:09AM; As I weighed in at Fat Camp (Aultman Weight Management Center) last Monday, the results with a normal week of workouts and hydration showed.  I lost 3.4 bringing my total to date to 67.6 and I sit at 207.4.  Needless to say I am thrilled.  But the conversation I had with the dietitian is what is most striking,...awe-striking I should say, moment of the week.

I knew I had been feeling better and the body was responding appropriately.  I knew that I had to hold back with my workouts, and is difficult as it is for a former athlete, I did so.  The result didn't shock me.  Even the end result of the conversation didn't.  But I think hearing the dietitian tell me that this current week would be my last on the "New Outlook" program weight loss phase, was.  I have worked incredibly hard for each success during this now five and a half month process.  While not perfect, I've earned my results - good, bad or indifferent.  But for some reason I have not allowed myself so far to truly look too far ahead in the process as I was learning each step of the way and I didn't want to distract my focus from the task at hand.  But now that I am three days away from beginning the new chapter in this journey, I find myself a bit in awe of two things.  How quickly this journey has come to this point and how excited I truly am to take the next steps - stick to the forefront of my thoughts as I type this out.

I remember the anxiety level I had walking through the door at Fat Camp (Aultman Weight Management Center) having to admit my faults and shortcomings to truly have a real chance of changing my life for good, and for the better.  I remember the first three weeks of results, losing 8.4, 4.8, and 8.2 pounds thinking "man this IS easy."  I remember the failures at Christmas, and even the recent mistakes in putting my body into survival mode and having to correct the behaviors that led to it.  But I think what I find most incredible, is how quickly my thought process has changed overall.  When I eat, I am careful and aware of everything I put in my body.  I weigh the decisions I make as to what foods and type of nourishment I take in as to the short and long term effects on my body, good or bad.  I most often choose healthier alternatives to those I once would allow myself to fall victim to in the past.  Most importantly, I have taken control of my overall health and wellness, and look forward every day to the process with a pride that I have never truly had - because I know that I owe a lot of people throughout this journey no less than my life, or at very least its new lease. My wife, mother, family, friends, co-workers, dietitians and staff at fat camp(Aultman Weight Loss Center), fellow campers, and people in general that have taken the time to reach out in support and encouragement.  While to some extent it seems like a blur, I have not, nor will I forget all of the support afforded to me along the way.

Secondly, I have to admit, while I have truly enjoyed the process, I'm very ready for its next chapter to begin. I am ready to increase my workouts, and to wean myself off of the shakes and translate this learning experience into a true lifestyle.  I am ready to continue to lose the weight and hit my goal of 200 pounds as the "Adaptation" phase gets under way.  I am ready to thank all of those who have helped me along the way by showing them their efforts were not in vein as I continue to progress to both my goal weight and to continually improving and maintaining my overall health and wellness.

I am very excited to reminisce about where I started, but even more so to talk about where I'm going.  I'll always include the weigh in numbers with the discussion, I am simply transitioning the discussion to show even someone with no previous experience can run 10K's, half marathons, and a full marathon if he or she sets their mind to do so and doesn't allow the hurdles to get in the way, as so many have before.

No comments:

Post a Comment