Thursday, April 5, 2012

'Vids, This One's For You!!

Thursday April 5, 2012: 9:04AM; Day 150; Alright lots to report, and it's been just a little while as right after I entered my last blog I left for my honeymoon.  I'll go into detail (no, not that way, get your minds out of the gutter   ;-) - simply weight loss related).  But first on my honeymoon, where typically a little bit of indulgence is not only permitted but expected, as it is truly a celebration, I lost 1.8 pounds, bringing my total loss up to 61.2 pounds - and I now weigh in as of Monday night at fat camp (Aultman Weight Management Center) at 213.8 pounds!  A surprise, sure, but certainly something I've earned.  Three things that struck me during the last two weeks that inspire me to share are the habits I'm forming, progress being made in all facets of my life, and the support and thanks I finally get to return to so many who have been so critical in these successes.  Now I'll explain.

During the honeymoon, I WAS NOT perfect by any means.  My best friend married my wife's cousin on day two of our trip.  I promised her months ago that if I was at my goal weight I'd have a sliver of wedding cake to celebrate with her.  Well as I am ever so close, I am not there as of yet so I initially declined the opportunity at the reception.  Her understanding and ever so slight disappointment in the moment having to pass was apparent.  So I decided to have a very small sliver of cake to celebrate her and her constant support of me in everything.  Furthermore as the week went on, I worked out hard, and allowed my self very small indiscretions once a day, usually at dinner to celebrate our honeymoon, but stuck to shakes and lots of water intake otherwise, and never more than a little extra starch or fat in oil as dressing or sauce on something in the entree to be my indulgence.  I was satisfied that at this point I have learned how to both minimize bad decisions and the ability to feel normal during a very special, once in a lifetime occasion, that in keeping with the good habits I've developed, that any minor hiccup wouldn't cost me dearly enough that I couldn't recover.  In such I was still able to lose.  While not much, my wife constantly being supportive and firm, encouraged me to taste but not splurge or stray too far, allowed me to see how life can and will be once fat camp (Aultman Weight Management Center) is not there for accountability.  My dietitians have instilled a confidence and strong habit of adherence in me so that I can continue to be successful long after the numbers stand still.

Secondly, I noticed that lately much progress is being made in several areas.  My running mileage, overall fitness level, and recovery time have significantly improved because as the weight has continued to drop, the body has taken less of a physical pounding, allowing to to recover more quickly and me to push myself more consistently.  My body has toned considerably in the last six weeks, and my goals have changed since I have been able to see all of this progress take on more tangible, visible results.  As such I've decided to make 200 not 205 my ultimate goal weight. Furthermore, I am learning how to maintain a healthy lifestyle and still experience all of the flavors of life.  I will not take another opportunity to stray until I have successfully completed fat camp (Aultman Weight Management's "New Outlook" program), but my dietitians have taught me how to live life in a properly balanced way.

Finally, as anyone who has read the blog knows, I am a firm believer that no one ever succeeds at anything by themselves, and nothing worth doing is ever easy.  Angie, my dietitian, has taught me how to be healthy, and given my the proper perspective on how to approach life on a daily basis.  My wife, mom, immediate and extended family and friends have supported me unconditionally every step of the way, and are my rock(s) through thick and thin.  My bosses inspired me to begin this journey, and continue to support me every day and the three of us are actually running a Half Marathon Relay locally in 10 days, a true bench mark of everything I have just mentioned.  I receive incredibly positive feedback through all of the social network outlets that continues to inspire me to new heights. 

But I need to take one second and recognize one person that has always been on of my heroes in life.  My assistant college swim coach at Cleveland State University, Mike Davidson, has always seen something in me I never have quite been able to see in myself.  He has always challenged me to achieve new heights, and push past my comfort zone.  He used to say "Anyone can be average, why not step out of your comfort zone and dare to be great!"  Mike left my senior year to coach with one of his college teammates from CSU at Penn State, and has since returned to Ohio to coach the Solon, Ohio High School and club program.  Wherever he has gone he continues to keep in touch and has always been un-wavering in both his confidence in and support of me.  He commented earlier this week on my progress and it still means the world to have coach "'Vids" give me his approval.  Thanks Mike, I'm taking your advice and "running" with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment